Pages

Tuesday, June 15, 2010

The MRT seat dilemma

Okay, I thought about writing this post after seeing a young guy offer the elderly uncle his seat on the middle seating. The uncle suddenly launched into conversation with the guy about the reserved seats and how people don't even follow the signs anymore.  He went on and on about young kids today.  It was actually a 30ish auntie who was currently seating on the reserved seat.  Here in Singapore, the reserved seating has been a bone of contention for most people.  I remember hearing a story of this one time (in band camp! oops sorry, just had to interject this American Pie liner :P) when a girl a matter-of-factly told someone seating on the reserved seating that the woman beside her was pregnant. The guy couldn't distinguish if the girl was just fat and didn't want to offend if maybe she was just sporting a bulging stomach. I mean seriously, it was an honest mistake sometimes but people tend to treat this sign as the holy grail of MRT seating.

Singapore's MRT Reserved Seating Signage on every seat nearest to the doors

I remember when RA first came here in SG.  He got used to giving up his seat in the MRT back home in the Philippines for women.  He is such a gentleman.  So he did so here in SG in the beginning for every woman be it young or old that just fortunately stands in front of his seat until I finally told him not to do it here anymore.  My reasons were first it was not just done here, boo-hoo to me and societal conducts that I tend to follow. Secondly, I didn't know how a local here would react to such a thing.  What if the woman gets offended perhaps it will be mistaken that she looks weakly or getting a differential treatment from others and thus earning a certain distrust over my bf's agenda.  There is no agenda gurl! He is just the perfect gentleman.  Sometimes, I'm worried that I have indeed changed this side of him.  He's the type of guy who gives up his seat, who holds the door open, lets the girl pass by first, and politely helps others if help is needed. I admit that I too have succumbed to the MRT seat dilemma.  The reserved seating sign is a good guide but I find politeness shouldn't only apply to the reserved seats nearest to the doors.  No matter which seat you're in, it's good practice to offer to a person who needs it.  

0 comments: